Multi-Resource, Influence-Based Play System
Here’s what’s planned at this point to be in the box:
- (1) ~22″ x 27″ Double-Sided Hexagonal Realm Map (board)
- (1) 55mm Starting Player Miniature: Sestra Lorekeeper
- (1) 70mm Myths & Wonders Expansion Miniature: Ronak, the Earth Trembler
- (117) 8mm Wooden Blocks (21 each of 5 colors, +12 black)
- (5) Player Dashboards
- (5) Metal Player Medallions
- (1) 22mm Custom-Engraved Heroic Attribute Die (D6)
- (1) 22mm Custom-Engraved Counter-Attack Die (D6)
- (60) Companion Cards (upgraded from 36)
- (16) Relic Cards (upgraded from 12)
- (12) Monster Cards (upgraded from 12)
- (16) Trait Cards (upgraded from 12)
- (12) Journey Cards
- (20) Secret Quest Cards (upgraded from 12)
- (12) End-Game Trigger Cards
- (19) Structure / Building / Terrain Tiles
- (1) Embroidered Cloth Bag with Drawstring
- (5) Wooden Scoring Tokens with Heat Transfer Guild Icons
- (6) Mastery Tiles
- (20) Proficiency Tiles
- (20) Mount / Speed Upgrade Tokens
- (4) Metal End-Game Trigger Tokens
- (1) Visual Guide (with rules)
- (1) Lorebook with the Art of Epoch and Back Story
- (3) Bonus Build Site Region Tiles (play variant)
- (5) Bonus Wretched/Vindicated Player Tiles
- (1) Bonus Temple Ruins Region Tile
- (1) Bonus Well of Wishes Region Tile + Wishes
- (1) Bonus Custom Component Nerd Tray
- (1) Bonus Jewelcrafter’s Hut Mini Expansion w/ Crystals
- (12) Bonus Myths & Wonders Expansion Loot Cards
- (2) Bonus Sacred Stones Tile Expansion
- (1) Bonus Pet Menagerie Tile Expansion
- (12) Bonus Pet Cards
- (1) Bonus Treachery Mini-Expansion (15 Cards)
Huzzah! VINDICATION comes with nearly 200 fully illustrated cards of various different types. Game play is based on quick, turn-based movement and influential actions, each of which affect your overall strategy and the tactics of others. Here are some of the card types:
Monsters / Bounty Hunting
Monsters don’t like you. If you’re scared to face them, well, that’s probably why you don’t have nice things. Confrontations with monstrous creatures of various types will yield rewards worth fighting for.
Because this ruined land is filled with hideous things that you need to overcome, success will require help from others. Hiring companions to join a player’s cause will greatly increase your chance of not getting squished by a troll’s club or eaten by a giant carnivorous flower. Companions can be found available for work at the inn. These special folks each have their own agenda and will only join your party if you have the right type of influence to persuade them. Are you wise enough? That remains to be seen.
The realm is filled with strange curios, time-worn knickknacks, and other oddities that can be used by players to gain boosts to their stats. Relics are rare, powerful, but require more influence and vision to control. In addition to special powers, relics also grant honor to players when they gain control of them. Not controlling these artifact makes you not-awesome. Being not-awesome will probably lose you the game.
Attaining traits is an incredibly powerful way to gain passive and triggered abilities that your opponents won’t have. Gaining wisdom is key to attaining traits, once you’ve made your way into the Tomb of the Ancients.
The area control mechanic is one of several important paths to the primary win condition—regaining your honor. The realm map contains 19 unique territory tiles that are discovered by players. Once discovered, players can acquire, control, and upgrade buildings — or confront monsters who dwell there and see what happens. Each of 8 unique tile types has a benefit for the user, and a passive benefit for the owner. The brawl to control them could get ugly.
Knowing where to be and when is critical to success in the game. The cool thing about area control in EPOCH is that there is very little head-to-head combat in the base game—every player can control their own destiny—for the most part. Well, except for the Treachery expansion in which players directly create total screwage for other players. Thank the Maker you have your wits.
Illustration ©2015 Orange Nebula, LLC. Header image artwork by Reza Afshar.